Marielle

Gotta Get Up And Try

by Marielle on June 10, 2013

in College Life,Extracurricular

So maybe you’ve heard that I’m a dietetics major. And perhaps you’ve heard whispers that I’m a vegan health nut as well. Both true, and to top it off, I love to be in the kitchen making all kinds of crazy stuff.

And since I’ve been home for the summer (read: I have a kitchen and free time) I’ve been trying all kinds of recipes. Mostly from Pinterest. Okay, 100% from Pinterest. But I always add my own spin on things!

Here’s some pictures of what I’ve been whipping up lately:

Dehydrated Cauliflower Crisps – you may think that using a dehydrator is something only crazy hippies do. Well, although I take no offense to being called a crazy hippie, dehydrating is definitely hitting the mainstream. I chopped up some cauliflower and added some nutritional yeast (a type of yeast that is fortified with vitamins needed in a vegan diet, like B12… it sort of tastes cheesy somehow. You’ll find it in a lot of recipes that are going for a “cheeezy” taste without using a bunch of processed cheese substitutes) and they turned out lovely!

Carrot Cake Bites – these involved the food processor, a sort of blender-like device that grinds up and combines food. It’s good for making dough and pesto as well. Anyway! Carrots, dates, coconut, and some spices got whirred up and then molded into balls. They weren’t overly sweet, but they had a nice carrot cake vibe to them. Good and good for ya!

Raw Cucumber/Mango Sushi – another food processor item. Instead of using rice in my rolls, I tossed parsnips, cashews, vinegar, and soy sauce in the ol’ processor and diced it until it was the consistency of rice. Turned out to be a pretty good substitute! Then I just rolled it up in nori paper with some slices of mango and cucumber.

Dehydrated Zucchini Chips – these are being dehydrated as I type this! Just zucchini sliced thin and layed out on the rack. Hope they turn out well! I’ll probably make some sort of dip for them as well. Hmmmm….

I’ve really been enjoying trying out some “high raw” food recipes and busting out the dehydrator this summer (although I do eat cooked veggies/grains/beans and bread, too!). It’s a great chance to try some fun and flavorful recipes that are a bit off the beaten path. So, if you have a dehydrator or food processor or juicer or any other contraption in your kitchen that’s just collecting dust, I encourage you to find some recipes and make use of it! (Hint: Pinterest. Pinterest for everything.)