Carlyn

Made for Freedom

by Carlyn on June 3, 2013

in Extracurricular,In Saint Louis

Yesterday I had the opportunity to participate in another fashion show. I experimented with the modeling aspect again, as I did a few weeks ago for the Springfest fashion show. This show contained the same amount of excitement and enthusiasm, but had a very different purpose and atmosphere. The goal of this fashion show was to raise awareness about a line called “Made for Freedom.” This collection is sold as a fundraiser for an organization that supports female victims of human sex trafficking. The primary clothing featured was “fisherman” pants, which are a one-size-fits-all style. As modeled, there are multiple ways to tie, cinch, and drape these bohemian pants. Each model walked the runway four different times, showcasing four different ways to wear the pant. I had so much fun sporting crazy printed and colored designs. It’s also always fun to get my hair and makeup done by professionals and participate in a photo shoot. And of course, it was great getting involved in the fashion industry for a great cause.

While the fashion show was a success, the rest of the night dragged on. Driving home in massive wind and thunder storms was completely awful. Due to pouring down rain and hail, I had to pull over to the shoulder until I could somewhat see again. Later, I got stuck in traffic that was sitting completely still. Because the bridge I was about to cross had closed down, I eventually turned around with the rest of the cars. Finally, I did make my way home after figuring out where I was going (through the rain, debris, and power outages, nonetheless). After dealing with these conditions for a few hours, it felt so good to get home. I shouldn’t complain too much, because at least I made it home safely. I always have to remind myself that situations could always be worse!