Into the Great Wide Open

in Academics,After College,Career Paths,College Life,In Saint Louis

Now that April – and hopefully warmer weather – is upon us, it’s time to begin the registration process for next year’s classes. As usual, I’ll be knee-deep in dietetics! There will be some clinical nutrition classes, some family/consumer science-based classes, and a class that will prepare me for the dietetic internship application process (which all graduated dietetics students have to complete before they can sit for the RD – Registered Dietitian – exam). I’m excited for my senior year, and very pleased with how my college experience has gone so far. I’m very lucky to say that food and nutrition has always been my surefire passion, and I’ve never once considered switching my major. One reason is that there’s just so many areas that a dietitian can work in – food service, hospitals, private practice, large corporations, grocery stores – if there’s food involved, chances are there’s a dietitian on staff somewhere! And in the past few years the need for more dietitians has just kept growing. Personally, I see myself working for a health foods or grocery store, perhaps with a private consultation business on the side. I’d like to write a book, too, and hopefully specialize in vegan/vegetarian diets. But I’m open to more ideas, too! The great thing about dietetics is that I can change things up without having to go back to school and get another degree.

So I’m definitely excited about what the future holds. That being said, I’m loving college, and I intend to keep enjoying every second of it! I’ve had so many great experiences at Fontbonne – I’ve tried new things, met great friends and teammates, and gone places I never even thought about going. It’s been awesome! And when the time comes, I know I’ll be able to look back with satisfaction and move on to the next chapter. But for now, I’m just enjoying the moment!