Penny

Fontbonne Day

by Penny on April 22, 2013

Last Friday, April 12, was Fontbonne Day, which is our community service day in mission together. On this day, faculty and students joined different service projects in the St. Louis area.  First, we gathered together for reflection and discussion in the morning of Fontbonne Day. There was an introduction and an interfaith panel on Catholic social teaching. Then, we left campus to do our different group service sites in the St. Louis area.

One of my graduate classmates, three Fontbonne faculty, and I joined the service project for SarahCare Adult Day Service, a day care
organization for disabled adults. They have over 20 clients in their organization, and different adults have different needs to be taken care of. Our group did many activities with the adults. We played puzzles and games (candy land, Bingo) together. I’m not familiar with American games, and this was my first time to play Candy Land and I played with adults. It was so much fun.  I also assisted them with walking, lunch, and anything they needed. During the day, I’ve learned I need to pay more attention to listen and chat to those with special needs.

I remember one of the clients kept telling me “I love you, you are pretty and sweet. Everyone here loves you so much.” She told me over 10 times in just 1 minute. Since she has dementia, she forgets easily what she said. Every adult in this organization had different needs, but they’re so cute and very open minded to express their love. They gave me many hugs and kisses, even though I just stayed with them for a few hours.   Aw…, they’re so sweet to me. Even though they have some disability, their heart is so lovely and sweet.

For me, Fontbonne Day is a really meaningful day to contribute to the St. Louis Area. I will get involved in more volunteer and service opportunities in the future.

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Teresa April 23, 2013 at 8:38 am

Lovely job describing your Fontbonne Day service, Penny!