Life Can Be So Vicious.

in Academics,College Life

I’m going to keep this blog post gloriously short tonight. I just felt the need to share my copious amounts of happiness with the world.

Lately I’ve been wearing this really stupid smile on my face as I sit down to study with my biochemistry textbook, which is becoming satisfyingly worn-in with highlighter and pencil marks where I began underlining things that I felt were important before coming to the conclusion that everything was important and that I was wasting my time. Yes, the shift has occurred: the scary newness of unfamiliar territory has worn off, and I finally, finally feel at home on the third floor of AB. I love the feeling I get where, after reading the same chapter in my biochem book three times, it all finally clicks (yes, it does take that long for this information to sink in). I love how fellow blogger Courtney and I have the longest email conversations freaking out over homework problems every evening after classes are over. I love how my professors move exam dates for us when we ask reeeally nicely. I love how my friends were so excited and happy and welcoming when I made the switch, even when I was feeling nervous and awful about it. I love how all of those same friends don’t stop being my friend when I’m crabby because I’ve been working on the same Michaelis-Menten equation problem or what have you and can’t seem to get the same answer as them. I love how Doc takes the time to answer all of my calc questions during her office hours, and lets me sit there and do my homework. I love knowing that somehow, all of the crazy information (because some of the stuff I’ve learned in the past few weeks is really kind of mind-boggling and awesome) will help me make a difference someday as I face the challenges of our time.

Sure, I may have spent six hours (at least) working on a biochem take-home test problem, but in all honesty, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

-Carly

“Clash the Truth” by Beach Fossils (I. Love. This. New. Album.)