The Good, The Bad, The Biochem

I’m not going to lie: though I’m a chemistry minor, chemistry just isn’t really my thing. I have utmost respect for chemistry as both a science and a profession; however, much to the dismay of friend and fellow blogger Carly, it just isn’t something that I absolutely love.

General chemistry was fine, but honestly, organic chemistry just never really clicked for me. I could generally get through orgo problems (except for the obnoxiously-long synthesis problems), but I just really didn’t draw a connection between orgo and the biology classes I loved so dearly.

Since biochemistry draws heavily in concepts learned in organic, I was very hesitant about taking this course. I figured that I’d best take it this semester with all of my closest friends; however, I honestly wasn’t looking forward to it. But thus far in the semester, I’ve come to really enjoy biochem. Take this afternoon, for instance. I was getting very confused by some physics I was attempting. So you know what I did? I put physics away for a little while and picked up my biochem. Though it can take me an embarrassing amount of time to finish one biochem problem, I always feel a huge sense of accomplishment when I successfully complete an assignment.

I think I like biochem because it combines all of the concepts I’ve learned thus far in my studies of biology at Fontbonne. In biochem, there are hints of biotechnology, molecular biology, cell biology, and – yes, that’s right – organic chemistry. There are definitely days when I wish I wouldn’t have to spend umpteen hours reading and taking notes and doing online quizzes and doing homework for biochemistry, but overall, I’m coming to really enjoy looking at the world from the intersection of biology and chemistry. And, much unlike last spring when organic ended, I may actually be quite sad when biochem officially ends in just about two months.

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Carly March 11, 2013 at 3:44 pm

You forgot to mention how much you love building molecules with model kits!

;)

P.S. I’m glad you respect us chemists.
P.P.S. I can’t get over how much I love saying “I am going to be a chemist someday.” It sounds cool, very official.