Dress codes are not my thing

in Career Paths,College Life,In Saint Louis

I work at Gordman’s, and the company recently implemented a new dress code. This was announced about a month ago, so everyone else has already been following it. But today was the actual starting day for the new code to be implemented; therefore today I had to start following it with my fellow employees. The new dress code is as follows: solid black shirt, plain blue jeans, and solid black shoes. Boring! Being a fashion enthusiast, clothing is how I express myself. I love to wear crazy patterns and bold colors, which I was previously allowed to do at work. I rarely wear regular blue jeans because I don’t like to wear things that a majority of other people have. I am not fond of conforming. However, I understand why the company would want its associates to look similar and how it may be helpful to shoppers. Accordingly, I will keep my complaining to a minimum, especially since I love the people I work with and have a lot of fun merchandising at Gordman’s (and after all, my job is what is paying my way through college). To spice up this required basic look, I plan on accessorizing like crazy. This way, I am still being somewhat expressive and sticking to my personal style. I’ll just conform in my own unique way. Now you’ve heard my opinion, so how do you feel about dress codes?

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Sandra Whitfield September 11, 2016 at 7:10 am

September 2016. It is impossible to find totally black shoes. All black shoes have some kind of design or color on them. And what does plan blue jeans mean? Most jeans have button pockets or some design on back pocket even if rest of jean is plain; blue and other colored jeans. Black seems fine for a uniform shirt. The problem is that black fades. I only have a black western shirt and one T-shirt in my wardrobe so not sure how easy black shirts are to purchase. (Yes, it would be nice to wear other colors.) If this uniform would help identify me to customers without wearing pins that sticks holes and make runs in shirts, then I would accept this practice. Management just needs to make sure they stay up to date with what employees can purchase. It is hard enough to find pants long enough and shirts that fit for various size people. At least they allow jeans which are needed to work freight. I always wear short sleeve shirts year around so I can work more easily.