Carlyn

Found my niche?

by Carlyn on February 12, 2013

in After College,Career Paths,College Life,Extracurricular

This past weekend was fairly simple. I worked, babysat, and did homework. I also went shopping for a little bit at The Children’s Place, which was the most significant part of my weekend (well, except for watching Justin Bieber perform on Saturday Night Live). You can laugh, but I still purchase some of my clothes from the children’s section of stores and shop at stores especially for kids (i.e. Justice). I light up more when I walk into The Children’s Place opposed to, let’s say, a Forever 21 and other similar retailers. By incorporating bright colors and shiny details, the design in kid’s clothing is so full of life, fun, and happiness. Considering I love these attributes, it hit me this weekend that I maybe should go into children’s wear as a career. I’ve already known for years that I wanted to work in the fashion industry, but not exactly what specifically. There are so many options, but I may have found my niche.

In one of my fashion classes, HES205: Apparel Production and Evaluation, we are working on a major project right now. Students have to develop the concept and production steps for five garments. While my classmates are working with expensive designer looks (not that they’re wrong in doing so), I have been inspired to do children’s wear. I think I see a pattern here…

We’ll see what the next couple years at Fontbonne will bring me. I am always open to a variety of opportunities and seeing what’s out there!