Erica

Happy (Chinese) New Year!

by Erica on February 11, 2013

in Campus Community,College Life,Extracurricular,Organizations, Activities & Events

For most Americans, we think of celebrating the new year on January 1st each year.

However, some cultures, such as Chinese culture, celebrate “a new year” according to a different calendar.

Fontbonne University has a pretty diverse group of cultures and ethnic influences on campus. I love getting to know and talking to many of our International Students. There is an organization on campus called the Fontbonne International Students Alliance (FISA). This is a group that is great for those who are International Students, because it is meant to help International Students transition into life at Fontbonne. Along with this, members share different cultures with each other and come together as a community.

This past Sunday, February 10th, FISA put on a Chinese New Year Dinner that I attended and assisted with.

My Ticket for the Event

I thought that FISA did a fabulous job with the event and the food was delicious (it’s obvious that other people thought the food was scrumptious as well, because it was all gone by the end of the night).

Attendees getting food from the buffet.

There were probably around 70 people or so who attended the event. And from what I could tell, everyone seemed to enjoy the good food and good company.

Dr. Golden, Fontbonne President, giving a Welcome Speech

Students from SECA (Students for the Enhancement of Cultural Awareness) and Others from the Community

FISA Members/Students who helped make the event happen.

Overall, I had a great evening and am glad that there are organizations on our campus that put on events such as this!

Peace, Love, & Happy Chinese New Year!

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Lizzie Lizzie Tran February 12, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Yay for Erica’s blog and Yay for FISA!! :) I’m so happy that we’re both a part of a great organization and a great university! And yes, the event was fabulous (wish I could have done more but glad I came).