Courtney

Never Say “Twenty Minutes Tops”

by Courtney on January 21, 2013

One of the themes in Disney’s movie “The Haunted Mansion” revolved around the idea that nothing takes just twenty minutes to complete. We’ve only been back in school for a week, and, looking at the schedule, things don’t appear to be terrible. I, for one, am lucky enough to have the ultimate luxury of only having class four days a week. Yes, you read that correctly – I don’t have to be on campus on Fridays. This weekend, because of the MLK holiday, I had four days off. After just getting back in to the swing of school, I was looking forward to having a relatively-relaxing weekend. I thought that this weekend would be a breath of fresh air after the hectic return to school, studying, and homework.

Needless to say, I was wrong. It literally took me seven hours to read through the material for Molecular Techniques Lab, and it took me umpteen hours to read through my biochemistry textbook and work through the corresponding problems. It seems as though Christmas break – which, for me, was full of relaxation, working at the Science Center, and catching up on missed television and movies – is a far-off memory instead of an occurrence that took place a mere week ago.

Even so, I’m happy to say that I’m looking forward to my classes because I think they will really prepare me for what I want to do with my life, which is laboratory research. In Molecular Techniques Lab, I will learn the basis behind some of the most prominent techniques used in research today, and biochemistry will strengthen my understanding of the reactions that make those techniques possible. Add in physics (which essentially explains the universe), evolution (which explains why life is how it is), and neuroanatomy (which is just cool in general), and I think I’ll have a fun – albeit challenging, demanding, and just plain stressful – semester.

So what did I learn from this weekend? In addition to learning in-depth information about chromosomal inheritance, genetic pedigree analyses, and the pH scale, I learned that Eddie Murphy’s character’s kids were correct – we should never say, “Twenty minutes tops.”