Courtney

Another Semester Over.

by Courtney on December 13, 2012

I say after finishing finals every semester, but I can’t believe the semester is actually over.  Gone are the days of developmental bio, plant bio, physics I, biotech I and IV, advanced stats, and bio seminar.  It’s hard to believe it’s all over.

I can say with confidence that I’ve learned a lot of really important, life-long skills this semester.  From biology seminar, I learned how to properly dissect a primary research paper.  I put in a ton of hours working on the two papers we spent half of the semester on.  There were times that I thought I’d never get the hang of it, but eventually, I did.  I now have the skills that are required to tackle any major primary scientific research paper, which is a skill that I will use for the rest of my career in biology.  From developmental biology, I became a lot better at understanding molecular biology; I’m still not a “molec pro,” but I feel much more competent while talking about things like transcription factors.  Biotech I and IV and plant bio increased my knowledge of lab-based research, and physics and advanced stats reminded me that, though I don’t like to admit it, math and numbers are a major, important component of biology and biological research.

All in all, I had a good semester.  There were definitely days of “I can’t do this” and “Why did I ever choose this major?”, but overall, I feel like this semester has helped me to think about applying what I’ve learned thus far in my major to everyday life in research and biology.

It’s weird to think that the semester’s over.  But hey, I have a lot of rest to catch up on over Christmas break.  Because when we return, it will be time for classes that are just as challenging – if not more challenging – than this past semester’s classes.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Everyone!!