Conner

The First Tuesday in November

by Conner on November 12, 2012

in Campus Community,College Life,In Saint Louis

Today is historic for the nation, and especially myself. Today, this first Tuesday in November, was the first time I voted! I have to say the experience was not as unnerving as I thought it would be. I was almost nervous to go vote today, partly because voting was a new experience and my vote was one of great significance. Today America is deciding the next president, and I helped in making that decision. When I stop and think about it, it truly is a remarkable right we have.

I registered to vote here at Fontbonne (how convenient!) a few months ago, and have been preparing for today for quite some time. I got all necessary information, probably more than I needed, to vote together, and brought myself up-to-date with the candidates and propositions. I considered myself an “informed” voter today. I did vote because I have never been able to, but also because it is a right I have, and as an informed citizen I enjoy having somewhat of a say in how things are run.

Voting was painless. I went after class this afternoon, and unlike other places here in the U.S., there was no line. My Fontbonne ID was all I needed, and I could even choose between paper and electronic voting. So many decisions! I chose paper. It seemed more official that way, actually inking in my votes. The whole process took me less than 15 minutes, and I made sure I grabbed an “I Voted” sticker on my way out.

I will probably remember that experience for the rest of my life, and will continue to vote. My job is done. Now all I have to do it sit and wait for the results! I think it’s going to be a close one!

Until next week…