A couple years ago, I had my mind made up about how some things were going to be in college before I even started. Well, surprise surprise, many of my assumptions were wrong. But, they were wrong in a good way!

I’m not going to lie, I was a little grossed out about the idea of living in a dorm room. I pictured sleeping in an uncomfortable bed, having zero room for my belongings, plugging my ears from a roommate, and showering in a disgusting bathroom. However, I am very glad I faced these fears and decided to live in a dorm. For one, I feel like I am part of a family on campus. Secondly, it really isn’t that gross! I had my expectations set really low and turned out to be pleasantly surprised by all the perks.

Last year I lived in St. Joseph’s Hall, now I reside in Medaille. Both rooms have extremely comfortable beds (or maybe I’m just a really good sleeper). Also, I can fit a lot more in the rooms than I expected. In addition to the large drawer space, you can fit belongings under the raised bed. If I can fit my numerous shoes (I have an obsession), you can too. Regarding the roommate situation, I lucked out and was matched with someone amazing that has become my closest friend. Finally, the bathrooms are actually not so bad. In The Joe, they are cleaned twice a day.

I shouldn’t have been so negative in the beginning. I think I was mostly just nervous. But remember, every experience is going to be as fun as you make it. YOU decide what your life is going to be like.