My First First Friday

in College Life,In Saint Louis

As those of you who’ve read my blogs know, I’ve been involved with the St. Louis Science Center since May.  I began as an intern there months ago in May the week after school got out for the summer, and in August I transitioned from an intern to a volunteer (with a nice, three-weeks-before-school-started break in between).  Every first Friday of the month, the Science Center has what is called – you guessed it! – First Friday.  This is a campus-wide event during which the museum stays open late.  Visitors can eat dinner at the Fizz Factory concession stand, catch an Omnimax film and a Center Stage show, and partake in various table-top activities that share a central theme.

I’ve been wanting to go to a First Friday event since June; however, I always happened to be busy on those Fridays (and inevitably free on the Fridays prior to and immediately following the “first” one).  But last night, I finally made it to the event.  And let me tell you – it was definitely worth it.

I took my parents to see the adorable new film “Born to Be Wild,” which tells the stories of two women – one in Kenya and one in Borneo – who are saving the lives of orphaned elephants and orangutans.  After that, we saw a special Center Stage presentation by the St. Louis Zoo that talked about the Zoo’s efforts to save endangered Hellbender salamanders (which, by the way, are native to Missouri) and penguins.  Later on, we saw my friend, Sara, holding one of her friends, an owl from the World Bird Sanctuary.

Overall, I really enjoyed my first First Friday.  I absolutely love the Science Center, and being able to go there after hours is always fun.  Next time you’re looking for inexpensive fun, I’d suggest that you make room on your calendar for a First Friday event.  It won’t let you down.

PS – Be sure to check out the upcoming First Friday events in addition to other fun happenings at the Science Center! http://www.slsc.org/AdultProgrammings/FirstFridays.aspx