Count Your Blessings

in Academics,College Life

“I’m just having the worst day…”

“That man in there is going to have to learn how to walk again without a leg, and the woman down in 501, she’s going to be told that she has stage four pancreatic cancer.  You’re not having the worst day.”

The above dialogue is from my new televised addiction, the CW’s “Emily Owens M.D.”  Though this show is definitely in the dramedy category, I think that these short lines speak volumes.

It’s Thanksgiving break.  One of the most-revered holidays in America is tomorrow.  And as I sit here writing this blog, I’m taking a break from all of the work I still have to do.  By next week, I have to complete a plant biology research paper, a developmental biology essay, a physics term paper, and a statistics case-study paper, plus I have to prepare for two major presentations.  And as I said, it’s Thanksgiving break.

At various times during the semester (especially near the end), it’s easy to get caught up in yourself.  It becomes increasingly easier to be pessimistic than optimistic.  I find myself asking, “Why do we even bother having a break from school when all we’re going to be doing is homework?”  However, it’s always important to remember to count your blessings.  It’s important to remember that a) I chose my major, b) I chose my classes, and c) I’m blessed to be at Fontbonne, an institution where I’m not only receiving a great education, but where I’m also really valued as a student, future biologist, and friend.

“You must think I’m incredibly self-absorbed.”

“No.  Just human.”