Penny

A traditional Halloween Activity- Carving a Pumpkin

by Penny on October 30, 2012

When I saw pumpkins, I knew Halloween was coming.

This year, I’ve done my first pumpkin craving with my friends at Fontbonne.

Last Thursday, Fontbonne offered an interesting activity–carving pumpkins–to students. Actually, I’ve never thought about carving pumpkin by myself until my friend, Carlos, invited me to do it. When I saw the huge pumpkin, I was going to give up carving the pumpkin because it was too heavy for me. My friend Carlos, however, just gave me a big hand in the last few minutes. He said: “Penny, I can help you take off the top of your pumpkin, then you just need to scoop out the seeds and focus on crafting your own pumpkin.” Sure, I said. So, I did my first pumpkin carving at Fontbonne. Wow, it was a very unique experience.

Actually, carving a pumpkin looks so simple but it’s really hard, because there is too much work to carve a pumpkin: take off the top, and take out all the seeds inside. Moreover, the skin of the pumpkin is hard, so you need to be very careful when you carve it. I know one of my friends cut her finger when she carved her pumpkins.

Here are some tips for carving pumpkins that I’ve learned in the United States:

1. You can use the pumpkin carving tool sets they sell in stores.
  2. Use a sharp knife to cut off the top of the pumpkin.
  3. Wear a pair of glasses to protect your eye from the dust.
  4. Scoop out seeds with a spoon.
  5. Wear gloves to take out the seeds, in case your hand feels sensitive about it.
  6. Remember to store those seeds to roast them. The flavor of roast pumpkin seeds is so delicious.

Even though it’s a little dangerous to use knife to cut a pumpkin by myself, I still feel it’s so much fun to cut it. I enjoy carving a pumpkin!