Is This Real Life?

in Academics,Career Paths

One thing that’s great about getting into the junior and senior years of college is the fact that most of your classes relate to your major. As I said before, my major is dietetics, and this semester I’m taking: Community/Public Health Nutrition (School-Aged Child through Adulthood); Application of Nutrition Concepts; Quantity Food Service, Purchasing, & Operations; and Food Pathways of Diverse Groups. Needless to say, I’m knee-deep in nutrition!

I really do enjoy these classes, though, and not just because healthy eating is a passion of mine – I really feel like they are preparing me for my career. “Busywork”, or assignments that don’t really seem to have a point except to use up time, is a pet-peeve of mine, and I hate feeling like I’m wasting my effort. But for the most part, I feel like the assignments I’m getting in these classes are things that a real-world dietitian would be doing. An example: in my Quantity Foods class, one project we have is to prepare a “Cycle Menu”, or week’s worth of meals, for a certain group. I chose elementary students. But the assignment is more than just dishing out random foods to make a menu – we have to research nutritional needs, have a meal pattern, analyze our foods to make sure they are adequately nutritious – it’s like I’m working for a school district!

And I have the same types of projects in my other classes. It can certainly be time-consuming, but I enjoy the work and feel like it’s worthwhile. Because that’s the best thing college classes can do for you – prepare you for the future you want!