Carlyn

Project: Design!

by Carlyn on October 12, 2012

in Career Paths,Extracurricular,In Saint Louis

Happy St. Louis Fashion Week! This week is a chance for St. Louis to celebrate its vibrant fashion scene. All this week, many exciting fashion events are occurring at various local retailers. One of the events I went to was called Project: Design! Six local fashion designers showcased their collection in a runway show that took place in the amazing Exploradome at the St. Louis Science Center. Each of the designers have a very different aesthetic, so a wide variety of fashions were found.

First, Jessica Affsprung made some cool velvet blazers and dresses. Then, Lauren Bander (whom was the winner) showed a collection full of gold and purple flowing silhouettes. Next, Michelle Sansone put fiercely tailored jackets down the runway and was the only one to feature menswear. Following was Ashley Ulicni, whose collection consisted of poofy, bedazzled ballgowns. After that came Elise Lammert, whom was voted “fan favorite” via Twitter that night. She created outstanding pieces by using odd recycled materials, such as coffee filters. Lastly, Whitney Manney ended the show by bringing the audience back to the ’80s with neon and acid-wash apparel. Personally, she was my favorite, for I love mixing patterns and wearing bright colors year-round. In fashion, it’s very important to take risks!

I loved seeing some of the talent that St. Louis has to offer. I am very glad that I attended this event. It made for a fun night out, a break from school work, and inspiration to follow a dream (just like the featured designers). Each of them stuck to their unique personal style, which is a trait I admire and aspire to.

“In a world where you can be anything, be yourself. “