Moving Forward: What Really Matters

in Career Paths,College Life,In Saint Louis

Relevance by Ebony Pollard

I watched the sun rise this morning (because Lovebug—that’s what I call my baby girl—woke up at THEE crack of dawn). I couldn’t help but appreciate the sound of the birds singing their morning songs as the yellowish-orange glow of the sun filtered through the living room window. Lovebug, content in my arms, was quiet in that moment and I drank in the peace. Moments like these, my mind tends to wander; sometimes to a specific place and other times, nowhere in particular.

Well, this time, my mind did wander to a specific place—a place it didn’t need to be. An issue that had been bothering me for quite some time permeated my thoughts. Almost immediately, the peace that I was feeling just moments before began to contend with an anxiousness that was welling up inside me. Anxiousness soon grew into irritation and, before I knew it, I was on my way to being a little miffed!

Then my daughter, who recently discovered that she can make all sorts of neat sounds with her little mouth, began to blow spit bubbles—her most favorite! Because I think everything that my infant princess does is pretty much awesome, I turned my attention to her (and wiped a little baby spit off of my cheek).

Just like that, spit bubbles brought me back to my sunny, peaceful place. :-)

“This moment, right here, is relevant. This is what I should be focusing on.”I said out loud.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Too often we waste time and energy concerning ourselves with things that we can’t do anything about or that just don’t matter … or both … when there are lots of positive things taking place.

I am a thinker. That isn’t always a good thing. Sometimes, I think myself into a frenzy. I told you all, in a previous post, that I was on a mission to identify the things that keep me from moving forward. Thinking too hard about things that can’t be controlled can be something that could keep any one of us from moving ahead in life.

Obstacle identified. From now on, I’m focusing on things that are relevant.

Thank God for spit bubbles and sunshine, huh?

So, what irrelevant thoughts are standing in your way? Change your focus. Change your mind. Change your life.