An Exciting 48 Hours

in Academics,Extracurricular,In Saint Louis

A lot can happen in 48 hours.  Being overly interested in microbiology and bacteria, I can tell you that a visible colony of E. coli can grow on an agar plate in as little as 48 hours (although 72 hours would probably give you more to work with).  But anyways, as I said, 48 hours is a lot of time.

That being said, I had an extremely busy 48 hours, starting on Thursday and ending last night.  Those two days were the kind of days that make me so happy to be a biology major because I was able to partake in activities that relate to science without being all school- and homework-related.

So what did I do?  Well, Thursday started off with my Plant Biology “Botany of Desire” presentation.  (Basically, we are supposed to read a chapter of Michael Pollan’s “Botany of Desire” and present on it.)  I chose to present on how to best clean an apple by preparing agar plates using microbial swabs of three different apples – one that had not been washed at all, one that had been washed with warm tap water, and one that had been washed with vinegar.   It turns out that all three plates grew bacteria (gross!), but I enjoyed doing my table-top activity in Ryan to show Fontbonne students, faculty, and staff the results of my mini-experiment.

Thursday night was Fall Festival.  The Biological Sciences Organization (BSO) sponsored an elephant toothpaste booth.  Students watched in amazement as we combined hydrogen peroxide, dishwashing soap, and baker’s yeast in pumpkin candle holders and allowed the product of this exothermic chemical reaction to ooze up and over the sides of the pumpkin.

And then yesterday, we took a Biotechnology field trip to Gallus, a research corporation near Lambert Airport.  We attended their poster session, which was a great way to meet scientists and see what they are currently working on.  After the field trip, I went straight to the Science Center and performed two shows at Center Stage.

As I said, a lot can happen in 48 hours.  Last night, I was really tired, but it was a good feeling.  I love being able to partake in science outside of the classroom, and I enjoy sharing what I’ve learned with the general public.  But that was enough fun for a while.  Now, I need to get back to the school- and homework-related science I previously talked about.

~ Making a Mess at Fall Festival! ~