Back in Routine

by Alumni Posts on September 10, 2012

in Academics,Campus Community,Extracurricular

Three weeks have come and gone, and it feels like we never even had a summer break. It’s so natural and easy to fall back into step here at Fontbonne — back in the same routines with classes, work, homework, and hanging out with friends. Although it feels like we never had a summer break, I have certainly noticed the course load difference between freshman and sophomore year. I have much more homework, and my class schedule is completely different as well. On Mondays I have 4 classes, and on Tuesdays I have 2, one of which is 2 hours and 45 minutes, and we meet at Brentwood Middle School. Wednesdays I have 3, but then on Thursday and Friday I only have one which makes it easy to relax at the end of the week.

Although the work load is harder, I am still really excited about this semester. The class on Tuesday that meets at Brentwood is a lot of fun, and is teaching me much more than I imagined. It’s my first real education course I have taken, and it is making it very clear to me that teaching is what I want to go into. This course also requires 30 hours of observation, so I am spending 3-4 hours a week in a 7th grade, math classroom. I have already gone once, and I absolutely loved it! The kids are so energetic, and it is so much fun to see how they try to figure out problems. Observing, and helping in a classroom opened my eyes much more than I thought it would. I never looked at the classroom from the teacher’s point of view, so that was really cool to get to do.

Along with balancing work, classes, and a social life, I am trying to be more involved this year. I am going to more FAB events (Fontbonne Activities Board) as well as trying to help out with Campus Ministry more. So far, these three weeks have been great! I couldn’t be happier to be back, and to not be the lowest on the food chain anymore 🙂