And the Inspiration Award Goes To …

by Alumni Posts on September 24, 2012

in Academics,Career Paths

Times are hard in more ways than one. And, in this depressing economy, even inspiration can be tough to come by. I am a firm believer, however, that every cloud has a silver lining. Many times, when asked to name the person that inspires them, people credit Mom, Dad, a favorite teacher or coach. I have been inspired by all of these but, no one has ever motivated me as much as my new daughter, Joy. For the clouds that currently hover over my life, Joy—and her smile— are the silver lining.

I’m told that children have a way of “pushing one toward purpose.” I thought I knew purpose before she was born but it wasn’t until I heard Joy cry for the first time, that I gained a new reason for breathing—to be the absolute best mother I could be by raising a well-rounded, happy individual. To me, being a great mom means striving to live a productive, exemplary life—a life that my daughter can look at, be proud of and, in her own way, emulate.

I am more passionate about the things that I loved before Joy came along. Things such as my faith in God, my relationships, writing—she is sitting on my lap as I type this—and the pursuit of higher learning. All of these things have a hand in the person I was, the person I am now and the person I will someday be. So, naturally, I want my experiences in each area to be positive and fruitful because my daughter is watching!

I am thankful for her existence and, in a lot of ways, my daughter has saved my life. Thanks Joy!

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

Brooke October 11, 2012 at 11:04 am

I don’t have any children, but I have three younger brothers who have changed my life in ways they will never understand; I can only imagine how it feels to have a child of your own. It’s admirable that you are already talking to her about the importance of higher education. Can’t wait to read more about you both grow together!

Ebony October 24, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Thank you, Brooke. She has taught me so much in just under four months. I’m an older sister and an aunt, too. So, I know what you mean but, trust me, just wait until you have your own! I definitely want her to grow up valuing education and taking steps to be the best person she can be. I dedicate my life to helping her do that.