Something that I have come to love about Fontbonne is its Dedicated Semester every Fall Semester. The Dedicated Semester is something fairly unique to Fontbonne and features a broad topic that gives the Fontbonne Community a chance to learn about and discuss the topic through various classes, activities, and events. This year’s Dedicated Semester is “Foodology: The Culture, Economics, and Science of Food.” I knew that I would love this topic as soon as I found out about it. However, I have learned that I really don’t know a whole lot about food.

This past Wednesday, I went to a talk at Schlafly Bottleworks where a family came in to talk about their farm and what it’s like growing some of their own food.

Coming from the suburbs of Chicago, I’m always amazed by people who are able to grow and produce their own food.

The Biula Family even brought some tomato samples from their farm to share with the audience.

This Dedicated Semester has also motivated me to explore new foods on my own. For example, thanks to a local company called NeighborGood Foods, I recently received a basket of fresh local produce from different farms around the area. And I love them even more, because they deliver right to my residence hall on campus!

Another event that I participated in for the Dedicated Semester was a trip to the Missouri Botanical Gardens, which is one of my favorite St. Louis attractions.

We took a tour through some of the areas with people who work/volunteer there and learned about some of the things they’ve been doing at the Gardens.

Some other fun happenings at Fontbonne/around St. Louis:

Fontbonne now has a Quidditch Team/Club (you’ll understand if you like Harry Potter)!

And the Great Forest Park Balloon Race also recently happened! It’s one of my favorite festivals of the year.

Until next time…
Peace, Love, & the Energizer Bunny!