Kelia

Cooking Class: Butternut-Barley Soup and Hummus!

by Kelia on September 27, 2012

in Academics,College Life,Organizations, Activities & Events

Hi guys!

Today in my cooking class I cooked with two things I have been wanting to use since I learned of their existence; an immersion blender and a food processor. I loved the food processor and cannot wait to have one of my own and the blender was pretty awesome too!

Blenddddd

All of the recipes from the class come from “The Healthy College Cookbook” by Alexandra Nimetz, Jason Stanley, and Emeline Starr with ┬áRachel Holcomb.

Butternut-Barley Soup

p.86

We made some adjustments to the recipe, leaving out plain yogurt because of my food allergy, (thanks cooking team!) and using barley instead of quinoa. The 4 cups of water the recipe called for seemed to be a bit much, so I think adding as needed would have been a good idea as well as subbing vegetable broth in place of water. Other groups tried different grains in the soup like rice and couscous. The soup came out a little sweeter than I expected, and I think it was the apple and carrot combo because those are two inherently sweet foods as is. The recipe made 4 servings which turned out to be a ton of soup. I have two containers full!

I love hummus and making it on your own is so incredibly easy and way cheaper than buying the tubs from the grocery.

Cannellini Bean Hummus

P. 56; Serves 10!

Hummus is so versatile too. You can add and subtract ingredients and still get really tasty results. Other groups made a black bean hummus, the traditional garbanzo bean hummus and we made hummus with cannellini beans which are a softer white bean. We found that the 1/3 cup lemon juice that the recipe calls for is a little too much liquid, so ours came out a little thinner than traditional hummus, but it was still really great.

The best part about cooking class besides using really cool tools and tasting awesome food is siting down and eating together, for sure.

Enjoy,

-Kelia

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

Erica September 29, 2012 at 12:20 am

Thanks for sharing some of your delicious goodies with me! :)

Kelia Kelia October 1, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Oh you are very welcome! I think we are making some type of stir fry this week so be prepared!