Don’t Just Commute…

by Alumni Posts on September 28, 2012

in Campus Community,Organizations, Activities & Events

People always seem to think that commuter students don’t have the so-called “college experience.” Many people, even those I’ve personally encountered, don’t think that commuters get involved. Many believe that commuters literally get to school five minutes before their classes start, go to class, and then bolt out the door as soon as class is over.  However, at least at Fontbonne, those people couldn’t be more wrong.

I’m happy to say that I am a commuter and that I feel like I’m having a great college experience.  To begin with, Fontbonne makes it easy for commuters to get involved through various clubs and organizations.  In fact, there’s even an organization solely for commuter students.  It’s called CAB – the Commuter Advisory Board – and it is sort of a forum for commuter students that allows them to socialize with other students and voice their opinions and concerns about commuting-related issues.  This is actually the second year that I’ve served the Vice President of Programming for CAB, and I think that CAB has come really far since my freshman year.  Last Christmas, a group of students completely repainted and revamped the Griffin’s Nest commuter lounge on the fourth floor of Medaille, and we’ve hosted better Commuter Weeks and other commuter-based events.

Next week, CAB will be sponsoring a Commuter Appreciation Day on Tuesday starting at noon.  It will be an ice-cream-social-and-Wii-game event held in the Griffin’s Nest, and it will be a perfect time for commuters to get to know each other better. 

So if you’re a current Fontbonne commuter who wants to get involved, or if you’re a student thinking about coming to Fontbonne as a commuter, I encourage you to look into joining CAB and other organizations on campus.  You don’t necessarily have to be a resident student to have a fulfilling college experience.  As we say in CAB, “Don’t just commute – be CABulous.”