Did I Make the Right Choice?!?!

by Alumni Posts on September 28, 2012

Hello everyone,

One of the most terrifying things I have discovered about college is only two words and it is MAJOR APPROVAL! This comes in a lovely form that tells the college you are going to what you will be studying to become for the duration of your stay. This means that you have pretty much picked your future career. Once you have decided and filled out the form that states the life you have chosen, it is difficult to switch. It might be easy to say, “Oh, I don’t want to do this anymore!” Changing it on paper is not as easy. 1) The paperwork needed to switch majors is grueling to do especially if you are lazy, and 2) most of the classes you have taken probably pertain to the major you picked first and switching means all that money you spent on previous classes was wasted. Some are lucky and have classes that work for the major that was and the major that will be, but money is money and it cannot be given back because of a lapse in decision making. How are you supposed to know you will like the major you picked, though?! Unfortunately, there is no exact science to know for sure.

I have picked Special Education as my major and Fontbonne University has made me realize what a daunting task I have decided on. Education, in general, involves many steps to complete and a lot of money in between. Education courses only count for education, obviously, so if I didn’t like it in the end, I would be back at square 1. I was nervous and overwhelmed every time I looked at this checklist to become a teacher, though! Eventually, I looked pass the checklist and looked at what I really decided on as my career choice. I picked children. I chose to be an educator and a life-long learner because I wanted to spread the knowledge I have and will have. I did not pick the list of tasks needed to be a teacher, but that won’t stop me from doing what I want to do. I was lucky enough to have taken an Education course that put me in the classroom and seeing all of those kids only solidified my resolve.

So all I am saying is that one way to know if you have the right major is to stand back and look. Is the list of tasks to get to your end goal too much? Can you see pass it to what you will become? If you are having difficulty, try finding hands-on experience and do a test run. Otherwise, your unwillingness to move forward might be an indicator. Again, we can never be sure we are making the right decisions about our future, but we can do our best and see what happens. GOOD LUCK to ALL of you!!! I am simply a voice you can choose to or choose not to listen to.