Courtney

What I Learned in Kinesiology

by Courtney on May 5, 2012

in Organizations, Activities & Events

For those of you who’ve been following my weekly blogs this semester, you probably haven’t heard me talk about my kinesiology class with Dr. Rayhel a whole lot. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great class and I love Dr. Rayhel – organic chemistry just boasts some more explosive things to write about (no pun intended).

Anyways, this semester in kines., we have talked about the movements made possible by the interconnections between muscles and bones. During one class, we learned about the phases of movement, which are illustrated very well by baseball pitching.  There are five main phases of movement, which, in order, are: stance, preparation, movement, follow-through, and recovery. 

Yesterday at Spring Fest, the Biological Sciences Organization (BSO) brought back the dunk tank.  Last year, when I attempted to dunk Dr. Paine-Saunders, I literally threw the ball over the entire contraption and into a field somewhere beyond.  Now let me tell you, I’ve seen my fair share of Cardinals baseball games, so I know how pitching should work.  But thanks to cell and molecular biology last semester, I learned that I’m NOT at all a visual learner.  (Those cellular pictures sure threw me for a loop!)  Yesterday, however, I had words – not pictures – that guided me through the process of pitching the ball.  As it turns out, I dunked Brent Hickenbottom five, yes FIVE times, and I dunked a few other people as well.  Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to take another try at dunking Dr. Paine-Saunders due to the weather’s lack of cooperation, but I’ll be ready next time.

So what did I learn in kinesiology?  I learned how to do something that I should have learned and mastered at least ten years ago.  But as they say, “It’s better late than never,” right?!