Make New Friends, But Keep the Old…

by Alumni Posts on May 8, 2012

in Campus Community,College Life,Uncategorized

Well, we’ve made it: the end of the 2011-2012 school year. I had my final class period today, and now I’ve got just two exams to conquer before putting the whole thing to rest.

One thing that I’ve realized worked out really well this year was my collection of friends. See, a lot of the people I became close with freshman year weren’t here this year for a myriad of reasons, from graduation to going back home to Japan, and for a little bit, I was kind of lonely, seeing as I’d kind of concentrated my friend circle around a few core people. This year, I guess because I was forced out of my comfort zone when my friends left, I worked hard by joining new clubs and making tons of smalltalk to gain new acquaintances, many of whom by this time have developed into friends. I still miss seeing my freshman-year friends around campus, and I keep in touch with them, but I’m glad I was able to make new friends in my sophomore year and expand my circle. The people I’ve gotten closer with this year (including all the people I was friends with last year) have helped me grow a lot, and hey, school’s a lot nicer when you’ve got friends.

Have a great summer, and I’ll talk to you in the fall!