Carly

Waiting for the Right Time.

by Carly on April 30, 2012

in Academics,College Life

I made it. I can (almost) officially say that I survived a full year of Organic Chemistry Lab. I didn’t catch anything on fire, make anything explode, break anything expensive, or have to use the safety shower (Although I came pretty close to using the safety shower after spilling acid on my leg. Instead I had to sit on the counter with my legs in the sink.). This, and the fact that tonight was my last official lab of the school year, is a cause for celebration. Actually, the fact that the official countdown I have on the dry-erase board in my room says “13 days” (when really it should be 11 school days, counting today (I think I’ve left it at thirteen days simply because the fact that seeing that number and knowing that it’s wrong makes me feel super optimistic)) until summer break is a reason to celebrate. So. Without further delay, here’s my list of the Best of the 2011-2012 School Year.

The Best of the 2011-2012 School Year:

1. Best Class: Oooh, this is going to have to be a tie between Organic Chem and Food Science.
2. Best and Proudest Accomplishment: Training in the freezing cold winter for my first half marathon (I’m already registered for my next…super excited!) and crossing the finish line months later.
3. Best Decision I Made: Deciding to add a minor in Chemistry at the end of first semester, and then, just a few weeks ago during registration, deciding to add another minor in Biology (because honestly, the bio department has some of the nicest, hardest working students I know of here. And also, being able to say, “I’m a double minor” sounds kind of awesome.)
4. Best Secret Talents that I developed that I Never Knew I Possessed: Making really bad science jokes and creating unique peanut butter sandwich combinations (see #6).
5. Best Professor: Hmmm…I’m going to have to go with Dr. Smith on this one.
6. Best Way to Fuel Up Before a 4.5 Hour Chemistry Lab: An apple and organic peanut butter sandwich (Because I’d rather not degrade my peanut butter by using high-fructose corn syrup-containing jelly on my sandwiches. Yuck.).
7. Best Way to Recover after a 4.5 Hour Chemistry Lab (Because Let’s Face It, By Then You’re Ravenous): A bowl of organic granola topped with organic skim milk and fresh fruit (Yes, I am a dietetics major, thank you.)
8. Best Must-Have Accessory: Cool glasses.
9. Best Memory: Going for runs on my weekends at home in the crisp autumn air, taking in the perfectly blue sky and fall foliage with the gorgeous songs from the Best Album stuck in my head.
10. Best Album (Which I Will Forever Associate With My Sophomore Year): M83’s “Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming”

Of course, there were several bad moments, too. I’ve never experienced more school-related stress than what I endured last semester. I nearly made myself sick over my first chemistry test, and I called home crying at least once a week during first semester because I had so much homework to do. Plus, trying to come up with meals for myself to eat when all I have in my room is a microwave and a fridge is no easy task (I like to know exactly what I’m eating by preparing it myself. You don’t exactly get that in the cafeteria. It’s a bit too shady for somebody as obsessed with healthy eating as me.).

All in all, it’s been quite the (for lack of a better word) interesting year. I’ve met some people I never talked to before. I’ve done some things that most normal people wouldn’t do (see #2 and #3). I think I’ve come to learn a lot about who I am now and who it is I hope to be someday. While my ideas for what I want to do with my life are still expanding, I’m totally stoked for whatever it is I ultimately decide to do. And with the end of this school year slowly coming, I think it’s safe to say that I’ve finally found myself on the path to doing some pretty awesome stuff!

Well, on that note, I suppose I better get started on my homework.

Have a great weekend everyone!

-Carly

“Midnight City” by M83