Courtney

You Know You’re a Nerd When…

by Courtney on April 20, 2012

in Academics,College Life,Extracurricular

Last night in orgo lab while vacuum filtering our recrystallized products, I asked Carly if she wanted to play a game.  It had been featured on “The Big Bang Theory.”  Essentially, one person says the name of an element; for example, let’s say “magnesium.”  Then, the next person has to say an element that begins with the last letter of the first element.  So going along with the first example, you could say something like “mercury” or “manganese.”  The game continues until you run out of elements with the correct letters or until you or your opponent can’t think of an element.  Carly and I got into a pretty good competition, and this, along with the fact that we are both going to study our periodic tables before Round 2 during next week’s lab, pretty much proved that I am a nerd.

Even so, I absolutely love being a biology major.  We are given so many great opportunities.  Last week, you may have seen my blog about the First Annual Intercollegiate Science Poster Day that Fontbonne hosted.  The day was great.  Students, faculty, and friends came to the third floor of AB Hall to view research posters from four Fontbonne students alongside students from Maryville and Lindenwood.  All in all, it was a great experience.  I really enjoyed sharing the research that I’ve been doing, and it was great to be able to see what students from other nearby universities are working on.

I’m also very excited about this coming Sunday and Monday.  Sunday is Earth Day (although, in my opinion, “Everyday Is Earth Day”).  And on Monday, the Biological Sciences Organization (BSO) will be sponsoring a Tree Planting Day on campus.  We will be planting four new trees along Big Bend, and we will be putting in a tree and natural-rock stepping stones in the triangular grassy area between AB and the sidewalk connecting to the arcade between Ryan Hall and AB.  Please come out and help us anytime between 10:00 and 2:30.  There will be free treats and prizes for all who volunteer!

When all of these stories and activities of mine are coupled with the fact that I used to think Shirley Temple was singing “amino acids in my soup” instead of “animal crackers in my soup” (a true story that Dr. Bookstaver found infinitely hilarious), I think it’s safe to say that I’m a nerd.  But I’m definitely happy to be one!

Andre, Dillon, Me, and Mike at Science Poster Day

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Carly Carly April 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm

You. Me. Rematch. Thursday night, Chem lab. Be there or be H-squared. (That’s Planck’s Constant, mind you.)