My Heart.

in Academics,After College,Career Paths

Every day I check my Fontbonne email, hoping that maybe one of my friends decided to leave something exciting in my inbox (and with friends like fellow bloggers Courtney and Elizabeth, this does in fact happen pretty much on a daily basis. Seriously, you guys make my day with your emails, and I should probably start returning the favor, yes?). With that idea in mind, today’s post is partly inspired by the link that WebMD-addict Courtney (and I say that in a very loving way, of course!) forwarded to me today: a slideshow about acupuncture from none other than webmd.com.

Last semester, in addition to crying in frustration and stress about the large workload I had to do, I spent a lot of time crying over the fact that for some reason, I couldn’t seem to figure out exactly what I wanted to do with my life. The idea of working as a dietitian in a clinical setting has never meshed with me personally. While I will have to do volunteer work in a hospital setting and it’s highly likely that my nutrition internship will likewise be with a hospital, it’s not where I see myself ultimately working. I always knew that if I was going to be a registered dietitian, I wanted to open my own private practice. Despite having all of that figured out, though, I still felt as though something was missing. “Maybe the nutrition field isn’t for me,” I thought. So I began entertaining the idea of entering a different career field altogether and becoming a physical therapist. Still, that didn’t feel right, either.

Late last summer, I started receiving acupuncture treatments. My acupuncturist in Webster Groves is pretty awesome; when she talked about my qi (or chi) during those first appointments, I was mystified. What did all of these ancient terms mean? How could sticking needles behind my ears, or one right in the middle of my forehead, or one in the inside of my foot (that one always hurts, but none of the others do!) reset my body and heal me from within? How did she know about food and nutrition as well? The pieces were starting to slowly come together. I definitely had an interest in this incredible medicinal practice, but I still wasn’t totally sure if I was interested in pursuing it.
My grandma gave me the inspiration I needed to make my decision. Despite having skin cancer and leukemia, she’s never undergone a Western form of treatment for her illnesses, turning to acupuncture and other natural treatments instead (and it’s working…her skin looks better every time I see her! It’s truly amazing!). Whenever she would talk about the acupuncturist who she’s currently seeing and the wealth of knowledge he possesses, I knew that I wanted to be able to heal people naturally, too, and that I wanted to be not just an average professional, but rather, an expert in my field. That’s when it all finally came together: my goal is to attend my dream nutrition internship (which I found a couple of weeks ago online) and become a Registered Dietitian, before going to graduate school to get my Master of Science in Oriental Medicine. Someday I hope to have my own private practice where I can educate my clients about natural nutrition and heal them with ancient techniques that really work.

So, long story short, if there’s one thing that I’ve gotten out of this school year, in addition to being able to synthesize various organic compounds and toss around fancy food science terms to annoy my mother while she cooks, it’s definitely the fact that I think I’ve found my passion, considering I’ve never been this excited about a potential career before. And as the school year slowly comes to an end (spring break = the week after next!), I’m excited to see what I can do this summer to help me achieve my future goals.

Have an awesome rest of the week, everyone! And thanks, Courtney, for giving me something to blog about! I owe you…as usual.

-Carly

“Genesis” by Grimes (My song obsession of the week…)

{ 3 comments… read them below or add one }

Courtney March 9, 2012 at 5:17 pm

What can I say? I’m sure there are MUCH worse things than WebMD to be addicted to… :)

~ Court

Elizabeth March 9, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Much worse things to be addicted to, hmm? My YouTube habit doesn’t seem so worrisome anymore…

(I mean, all that weird stuff I send you guys has got to be good for you in some fashion, right?)

Erica March 22, 2012 at 1:32 am

I give you major props for supporting natural nutrition/medicinal practices!