Jennifer

The Great Forest Park

by Jennifer on March 5, 2012

in Extracurricular,In Saint Louis

My absolute favorite overall place in St. Louis has got to be Forest Park. In terms of things to do, it has so much to offer, beginning with the award-winning St. Louis Zoo, which I might add is one of just a few zoos across the country that are FREE! They have added a lot of exciting things over the past few years, and they keep doing more. You can never go wrong with a trip here. If you are an early bird like I am, attractions that normally cost are free during the first hour the zoo is open. When trying to take advantage of this deal, do remember that  the zoo has a winter and summer schedule so make sure that first hour is really the first hour.

Just up the hill, you have the St. Louis Art Museum — expansion and new things are going on here too! Did I say it was FREE! Special exhibits often have a free day as well. They have family fun Sundays with special tours and hands on craft activities. And guess what, nobody cares if you don’t have any kids. Art Hill is the place to be for sledding in the winter time and in the summer time… movies right on the lawn on a cool screen with the water fountains as a back drop.

The History Museum has story time on Fridays and Saturdays, and usually in the summer, it offers different crafts and special events. On their lawn in the spring, April-May, and fall, August -October, they have FREE music concerts for all!

There is also the Muny, Dwight Davis tennis courts, raquetball courts, playgrounds, the Jewel Box, Steinberg’s ice skating in winter, beach volleyball in summer. There’s fishing, canoeing, walking, running, biking (w/rentals available), golfing, etc. etc.

Of course I can’t mention Forest Park without mentioning the Great Forest Park Balloon race — everybody that happens to pass through here at the right time should go at least once.

There are some things about St. Louis I wish were a little, but I do appreciate what’s offered here.  What makes it a great place for college students and families as well is the fact that if you’re not too particular about doing any one specific thing, you can often find something fun to do for FREE or at least reasonably priced. There’s even a catalog that you can pick up at the Visitors’ Center in Forest Park that has lots of great coupons.

It’s such an easy walk from campus that soon you’ll be singing, “Meet me at the Muny. The Muny in Forest Park!