Why YOU Should Be a Bio Major

in Academics,Career Paths

Nothing really crazy happened this week. There were no explosions in the chem lab, no dissection juice squirting up from the cat and onto my lip like last week, and no crazy homework assignments to complete. So, as I’m sure you can infer, I had a difficult time coming up with something to blog about.

And then this morning, I got a postcard from Fontbonne in the mail telling me that the Majors Fair is coming up on March 14. Realizing that I will probably be at the biology table alongside my fellow bio majors like last year, I thought I would start my “Why YOU Should Be a Bio Major” campaign now. Here are my top 5 reasons why you should become one of the coolest people on campus:

1. We have some pretty awesome professors. They are always there to answer your questions, and they challenge you to learn everything you can while giving you all the support you need.

2. The BSO (Biological Sciences Organization, aka our biology club) allows you to meet a lot of people and experience a lot of new things. I met some of my best friends in BSO, and with the BSO, I’ve gone on field trips to places like the Genome Center and the Butterfly House.

3. You feel really smart when your friend asks what type of medicine she should take for a headache. Not only can you tell her why ibuprofen is technically safer than naproxen, but you can also draw out the molecules in case she needs a visual.

4. You get to work with everything. In the course of a week, you can dissect a cat, culture some E. coli, and make soap.

5. Being a bio major at Fontbonne will be one of the most exciting experiences of your life. Yes, it can be difficult at times, but we’re all in it together. My friends and I will one day be doctors and researchers who discover new treatments and cures. We will be able to contribute to the world’s understanding of life, and we will be able to allow our curiosity to flourish. It’s been said that “if it were easy, everyone would be doing it.” Biology definitely isn’t easy, but it’s SO worth doing.

If you have the drive to learn as much as you can, ask as many questions as you can, and contribute to a greater understanding of ourselves, our environment, and the universe, YOU should be a biology major. I hope to see you at the Majors Fair!

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Alicia Bamber March 27, 2012 at 11:41 am

Hello!

My Name is Alicia Bamber. I am biology major at Harris-Stowe State University, and the vice president of our Biology L.A.B. Club. We are currently in our infancy, and we were hoping to attend other university’s Biology Clubs to learn, as well as perhaps collaborate on events or projects in the future.

You may contact me at abamber068@hornets.hssu.edu

Best,
Alicia Bamber