Happy weekend!

in Academics,In Saint Louis

Something that has been really throwing me for a loop in Saint Louis is the ever-changing weather pattern. It has been snowy and cold, rainy and dreary, sunny and beautiful all in one week. It’s so different from what I’m used to—New England winter is one thing above all else: cold. It might be cold and snowy, or cold and sunny, or cold and windy, but you can pretty much rest-assured that you need to wear seven layers of clothes and boots for a solid four-five months. I was comfortable outside in just a t-shirt today! In February! And I wasn’t on a tropical vacation! What?! That might be a first for me.

I’m gearing up for my first Saint Louis Mardi Gras tomorrow. People in this town sure do love Mardi Gras- it has been the buzzword for the last week. A couple of the girls in my program and I are headed down to catch the parade and enjoy the sunshine—I hear it’s going to be great weather!

In other news, my boyfriend was visiting this week for Valentine’s Day. He lives in Maine, so it was quite the trek for him to come for the holiday—Lucky gal, right here! We got to try out some great restaurants that I’d been meaning to check out for months; Vin de Set in Soulard was my favorite. If you’re big on atmosphere, then Vin de Set is the place to be. This place was emanating the perfect vibe for a Valentine date night. Tim is back home in Maine now, but I’m looking forward to seeing him next month for my Spring Break.

I’m working on homework stuff tonight- the most challenging thing about my program is that once you get your clinic stuff in order (meaning treatment plans, weekly therapy plans, other miscellaneous reports), it’s time to start cranking out school work. Classes tend to sneak up on me, which can be a drag for a self-proclaimed Type A personality. I’m working on a new color coding system in my daily planner that will hopefully nip my problem in the bud. That being said, I wouldn’t change a thing about my decision to be a Fontbonne graduate student. Sure it’s a challenge, but I do well when I’m presented with a challenge. It’s how I operate—I just do things like color-code my planner. Not to mention… I love what I do! I am so excited to have found one of the best jobs on the planet. It’s fun, it’s rewarding, and it keeps my brain conditioned. The cool thing about grad school is that you get to put what you’re learning into practice with help from seasoned professionals who can really help to steer your development. As much as I look forward to graduating, I’m also trying to absorb as much of “the process” as I can. I feel like I’m learning some invaluable lessons these days, all of which will make me a better clinician when my time here is up.

That’s all for now, folks. Have a good weekend!

PS: I wrote about how excited I was for the Oscars last week only to find out (after submitting my blog, of course) that the Oscars weren’t for three more weeks. Oops! Sorry if I got you revved up for the big night too early! Academia is frying my internal TV guide. I did tune in for the Grammy’s and here is what I have to say about that:
1. Paul! Paul! Paul! He was the highlight of my night.
2. Nicki…Nicki…Nicki… Lowlight of my night.
3. Whitney, I will always love you….
4. Who is that Adele chick, anyway? ;) Just kidding- very impressive clean sweep!