Happy Lent!

in Campus Community,Organizations, Activities & Events

Yessir, it’s that time of year again (provided you’re a (practicing) Catholic (and I think other Christian denominations celebrate it, too) (I’m really hitting the parentheses here, no?)) : Lent. Last week, we had an Ash Wednesday Mass in the Chapel, and afterward, there was a soup-and-bread “meal” where faculty and staff members dragged in their crock pots and offered everyone bottomless bowls of soup for a donation to the upcoming Africa trip sponsored by the campus’ service club.  I had the vegan tomato-basil soup, and it was pretty good!  (Note: I’m not vegan.)

My computer science professor baked home-made bread FROM SCRATCH! and it was incredible.  It was my first Ash Wednesday soup-fest (it’s my second year at Fontbonne, and I didn’t go to the event last year), and I really enjoyed the food and spending time with the other people who came.  It also gave me a warm-and-fuzzy-type feeling when I realized how nice it is that I go to a school where the professors take time to make soup and bread for the community to enjoy.  It was a good start to 40 days of almsgiving, prayer, penance, and self-denial.  I gave up Facebook for Lent, and let me tell you: as of right now, it looks like it’s going to be a looooong 40 days. (I’ll probably get a lot done, though!)