Conner

Fontbonne and Fashion, Like Peanut Butter and Jelly

by Conner on February 16, 2012

One of the most important decisions you can make in your life is what you decide to study in college. This may be what one would think at the ripe old age of seventeen or eighteen, but in reality, it isn’t. Nevertheless, it is a choice that has to be made, and mine was particularly easy.

I decided to major in Fashion Merchandising because I love fashion, and I know if my career relates in any way to fashion, I would be happy. There are a numerous amount of career opportunities and different avenues offered with a major in Fashion Merchandising. Fashion Merchandising is so much more than fashion design, and that’s what I love about it. As my Fashion Industry instructor Rogene Nelsen said this morning, “Fashion is a business.”

This past week has been one of great importance for Fashion Merchandising majors. It’s Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in New York City! This is a week where designers, new and old, can show their designs for the upcoming season, in this case, Fall 2012. Today is the last day for designers to show their Fall 2012 collections on the runway for buyers, celebrities, and other influential people in the business. For the past week, I have been reviewing what’s happened on the runway. Yesterday I watched Michael Kors’s runway show, and I have to say I am really impressed! Kors showed a lot of pieces in fur, leather, and lace. Shades of red, black, beige, gold, and silver dominated the runway. My favorite part of the 12 minute show were the gowns shown at the end. I would highly recommend checking them out online! Kors has planned to expand his business and add stores here in the United States, as well as in Europe and Japan, so this could be a big year for him in the fashion industry.

Being a Fashion Merchandising major at Fontbonne University has allowed me to have access to fashion related websites, publications, and information I would not get elsewhere. I am extremely grateful for the program, especially during Fashion Week. Fashion Merchandising combined with Fontbonne University is the best combination for me in my life at this moment. Fashion is incorporated into the university’s classes to form something as perfect as incorporating peanut butter with jelly!