Jeanne

Determination, Procrastionation, Eating Disorder Awareness

by Jeanne on February 27, 2012

in Academics,Campus Community,Extracurricular,New & Future Students,Organizations, Activities & Events,Our Causes

Hello everyone,
As some of you might have noticed, the Lenten Season started this past Wednesday. This year, I have been hoping to be less of a procrastinator. Lately, I have been putting things off until the last minute, which causes stress, the ripping out of hair, and the occasional yelling at the ceiling to that higher power. I am good about getting things done, but my prioritizing tends to put some things to the wayside and then sneak up on me when I least expect it! Among other things, I am determined to do things not necessarily super ahead of time, but sooner than the night before. Those reports I know about weeks ahead of time will be started that day and I will create little tasks to complete at intervals instead of the whole chunk at one time. Anyone else who is just as determined to make a difference in their time management can follow these tips. One thing that is always told to me is list, list, list. It is actually proven that things are more likely to get done when written down.

Someone I know likes putting any assignment that is given on a notecard. All notecards are then pinned up on a corkboard in the order that they are due. Every time an assignment is finished, that notecard gets taken down. For more motivation than disappearing notecards for a clean corkboard, a person can hide a cute/funny image underneath that can only be revealed when homework is done. I keep a notebook full of different lists. “To Do” lists, “homework” lists, “ideas” lists are all compiled into one notebook. This might sound like a waste of paper, but I only use notebooks from past classes to be more eco-friendly. Plus, with technology now-a-days anyone could create a list in Word and save it or use an app. Unfortunately, multiple obstacles get in the way — namely, Facebook, an easier assignment, or just pure laziness (I am most familiar with the last one!). Something to boost motivation to finish something could be a kind of rewards system. Do something before allowing yourself a Facebook break. You can be like “I will finish reading two pages with a page of notes before stalking this person I friended” or “if I write one more substantial paragraph, I can text for five minutes with whoever I want.” Either way, these are all possibilities for frequent breaks to increase productivity. If you choose to follow them or follow something that works for you!

On an ending note, don’t forget that RECYCLEMANIA is still going on!!! That means use our new recycle bins on campus to recycle those plastic bottles, aluminum cans, papers, and teracycles!! This is technically a contest, but it is all for the good of our planet so do what you can!!!

One more thing!! I promise to tone down on the exclamation points…maybe…Did you guys know February 26th –March 3rd is National Eating Disorder Awareness Week??! Well, it is. So keep your eyes peeled for information about this tragedy that is consuming our nation and what you can do to help stop it. If you can’t wait and would like to know more NOW go to www.nationaleatingdisorders.org! This is something people need to be on the lookout for. Just the other day I read an article stating boys are more likely to be anorexia than girls! What is with the gender shift? Check out the article at this link http://dailynightly.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/22/10477185-boys-dying-to-be-thin-the-new-face-of-anorexia. Alright, that is all I have to say on the matter so I hope someone got something out of this post.

Jeanne! (I might like exclamations a bit too much…!)