Jennifer

Why Deaf Education

by Jennifer on February 20, 2012

“Why did you choose Deaf Education?” is the second most-asked question behind “what made you decide to go back to school?” Well I have always loved education, and years ago, I almost went back to school to be a teacher. The thing that stopped me however was the system of it all in terms of how students were being taught. I thought then that my personal beliefs would cause me to constantly clash with what was being taught in the classroom, so I continued to be a stay-mom.

When the time came for me to get back in the game, I was again drawn to education, but I still knew the “traditional” teacher role would not be for me.  I wanted something that was different, though I know that I will still be a teacher in the traditional sense. Specializing in Deaf Education provides me a challenge to keep me focused. It was like it just popped in my mind, but I had spent many days and nights asking for guidance and then it came.

After receiving my B.A., it is my plan to enroll in the graduate program to receive my M.A., and though I initially plan to step into the classroom for a few years, my ultimate goal is to start a company that specializes in Early-Intervention services in underserved areas at home and abroad.