What? You’re Telling Me I Have To Study?

by Alumni Posts on January 23, 2012

I’ve only had three days of classes so far (my schedule works out so that I don’t have any classes on Fridays!), but I’m exhausted by school already, and the (admittedly weak) enthusiasm with which I came into the new term is swiftly dimming. (Geek-out time:  if you graphed on a Cartesian plane the change in my enthusiasm this week, it would look like the graph of y = 1/x.  You know, a curve that starts up close to the y-axis, then curves downward until it hits its horizontal asymptote and basically gets closer and closer to zero?  That’s exactly what it’s like.  I’m sure you either love me or hate me right now.)

My new course schedule is chock-full of computer science classes- a math class (Algebraic Structures), a programming class, a compiling theory class I’m affectionately calling “Dragon Studies” because of the drawing of a knight fighting a dragon on the textbook cover (plus, compiling theory seems like it’s going to be a… dragon), and an intro to server technology class.  My only non-C.S.-related classes are American National Government and Newspaper Workshop, and they only meet once per week.  I’ve got a lot of gaps between classes every day, but I have a feeling it won’t be long until all that time won’t seem like enough in which to finish my homework every day.

Actually, I think the classes I’m taking are going to challenge me to be more disciplined in my study habits.  I’ve kind of leaned heavily on math classes in the past semesters for credit hours, and although I had homework every night, there wasn’t any memorizing of terms to do.  Not to say that my classes have been easy (because they really, really haven’t), but there wasn’t the same amount of studying involved outside of homework – you do the problems every night, you get a good idea of what you’ll be doing on the test.  The computer science classes I’m in currently are different – they’re heavy on theory and vocabulary, and I’m going to have to get into the habit of sitting down and memorizing my notes every night.

Honestly, I don’t have much hope for myself on this front – I hate studying, even though memorizing things isn’t that difficult for me.  It’s imperative that I at least try, though – I’d hate for a bout of laziness to be what brings me down this semester.

We’ll see how this all goes, and you, dear reader, will most certainly be kept in the loop about it.

So tell me, are your classes a switch-up from last semester?