What a Perfect Chance to Start Again

by Alumni Posts on January 17, 2012

I will never underestimate the power of sleep again. Last semester, I had the stupid idea of, “How about I stay up as late as I possibly can to study and get stuff done?” This was a stupid idea because it led to numerous, undesired side effects:

1. I began to crave food, which is bad considering how closely I monitor my diet to ensure that it’s as clean as possible. Yes, I began to eat and eat and eat (or so I thought anyway. To most people in this “super-size me” culture, however, I probably still appeared to be consuming hardly anything.)! Plus, anytime I felt stress coming on, I found myself eating. Seriously. When I found out I had to write a paper that was due in a couple of hours one morning, I found myself eating. Stress/emotional eating (even if it’s eating nutritious food, as was my case) is bad with a capital “B”.
  2. I found myself falling asleep in class. I remember sitting in chemistry lecture, which was my earliest morning class I had last semester, literally holding my eyelids open with my fingers because they felt so heavy. If Dr. Bookstaver didn’t think I was weird before that, he definitely does now.
  3. I found it harder to motivate myself to study and do other productive things.

So, I’ve come to the conclusion that depriving myself of sleep was probably the dumbest idea ever. As evidenced by the above list, staying up late to study wasn’t helping my academics at all. I mean, if you have no motivation to study and you can’t stay awake in class, you are, as my favorite high school teacher Mr. Reeves would say, “SOL”, or “Sorry, out of luck” (ha). I was so good at going to bed early over the summer, and to completely throw my circadian rhythm out of whack like that during the school year was hurting me much more than it was actually helping me. Thus, I have decided that I am not going to shop online, look at my favorite fashion blogs, or read the latest album reviews on Pitchfork until all of my homework is complete. In other words, no more procrastination. If I hadn’t procrastinated so much last semester, I wouldn’t have felt the need to stay up so late studying because I would’ve been finished with everything I needed to do.

Since I’ve rediscovered my love of sleep and my body is no longer craving energy through food because I’m getting adequate rest, I’ve decided to start working on getting ahead now while I have all of this free time so I’m not buried once school actually starts. That means I’ll spend less time doing homework and more time getting the sleep I so desire. So, as hard for me to do this as it was, I broke out the old Organic textbook and began to read ahead.

Am I totally dorky/boring/lame for working ahead so I can go to bed earlier than my 12-year-old sister? Maybe. But when you are experiencing the dilemma of having to hold your eyelids open during class halfway through the semester, I’m sure you’ll see my side of the situation.

Anyway, have a great first week back everyone!

-Carly

P.S. Holy Ghost! is my new musical obsession. Their self-titled album seriously gets better with every listen, and the totally 80’s music videos, which showcase an old-school New York City (the love of my life) in all its glory, are super addicting as well. Check out “Hold My Breath” here!