Carly

When the Night Falls, We See the Star of Wonder

by Carly on December 5, 2011

in Academics,Extracurricular

This is a bizarre feeling. I came home this weekend and realized that the only homework I have to do is study for my finals that I have next week and complete my last homework set for chem. I have a bad feeling, though, that I’m going to abuse this “free time” that I seem to think I have and am consequently not going to get anything productive done…

Well, since the semester (and the year 2011, as well!) is coming to a close, I’ve decided to comprise a list of New Semester’s Resolutions for the second half of the year. Here are a few of the things I have come up with while abusing my free time:

My New Semester’s Resolutions:

1. Be a better student in the lab. Since I have decided to take organic two next semester, I’ve decided that it would be in my best interest to be a better student while working in the lab. Not only does this entail taking better, more accurate data, but it also means numerous other things as well:
    1. Not spilling hydrochloric acid (it was dilute…) all over my legs (I don’t want to have to sit with my legs in the sink again…embarrassing!)
    2. Not spilling distilled cloves everywhere
    3. …Not spilling things in general
    4. Not tricking people into smelling abrasive substances by insisting that it smells really, really good and they need to experience it for themselves
    5. Not turning any parts of my body abnormal colors

2. Don’t get involved in things that I don’t really care about for the sake of being involve This seems like a no-brainer, but when you feel the need to get involved in as much as you possibly can, it’s easy to get carried away. Thus, I’ve decided to limit my involvedness to only the following things: blogging, the Fontbanner (I’m sure Dr. Somer will be delighted to have me back on the staff again…hopefully I have time), the Honors Program, BSO (I just joined even though I’m not a Bio major and I’m excited to see what I can contribute), and I really need to join SHESA but have not motivated myself enough to pay the fee to do so (maybe paying the fee should be a resolution in and of itself).
  3. Find a way to train for my first half marathon and my first triathlon all while staying on top of my homework. The only reason why I didn’t do the half marathon in the fall was because training for it was proving to be stressful with all of the homework I had to do. Soooo…training for both of these things in the spring will require a lot of effective time-management and a lot less time wasting. Which leads me to my next resolution.
  4. Stop wasting so much time! I guess I better start on this one now and get back to studying. There’s no time like the present, no?

Our Christmas tree is up! Our house is half decorated! My mom and sister are Christmas shopping as we speak (so I could have the house nice and quiet to…umm…study, which is exactly what I am not doing!)! That means only one thing: time for me to break out my Sufjan Stevens boxed set of Christmas CD’s! Yes, this is most definitely one of my favorite things about Christmas. As an early Christmas gift, I’ve decided to leave you with both my personal favorite song off of the five different albums (“Star of Wonder”) and my brother’s (“Sister Winter”) for your own listening pleasure. Decide for yourself which is better, and then get back to work!

Good luck with finals and have an amazing break!

-Carly

“Star of Wonder” and “Sister Winter” …both by the amazing Sufjan Stevens

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Courtney Courtney December 7, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I love how I’m somehow involved with over half of the statements that you listed about what you’re not going to do in organic lab anymore. My notes still smell like cloves. Ah yes, good times… :)