Marielle

Have A Green Christmas!

by Marielle on December 5, 2011

in Organizations, Activities & Events

We are on the cusp of finals here at Fontbonne, and pretty soon it will be time to pack up and go home. Overall I can say that I am very satisfied with the year so far. I really enjoyed all my classes, and I feel prepared for my upcoming tests. The Environmental Club had a fantastic start to the year, and my second year of cross country was awesome as well. So what’s been occupying my thoughts lately? CHRISTMAS!!!

So to wrap up my blog for the semester, I’m going to post a few ways to be sure your Christmas is GREEN, whether it’s white or not! :)

Gifts: When searching for gifts, look for things that are sustainable and earth-friendly. This could include things that are locally made, organic, made from recycled materials, or simply have less packaging. Another gift to consider is the gift of experience: a gift of a service or experience – like a massage or tickets to a show – will create a memory that can last longer than an object would. Or, you could hand-make a gift!

Wrapping: An easy way to reduce the environmental impact of a gift is by choosing how it is presented. Although wrapping with newspaper is the choice that usually springs to mind, there are other creative alternatives to this, like using maps, coloring book pages, or phone book pages. If nothing else, look for wrapping paper that is made from recycled materials and can be recycled. And don’t forget to keep any bags you get to use again!

Lights: If you use Christmas lights or light up decorations, be sure to monitor how long they are on. If no one is up to appreciate them, they might as well be turned off! If you need to buy new lights, consider LED lights – they use less energy and last longer.

See you next year, and have a great holiday season!