Allison

Thanksgiving Work

by Allison on November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving break came and went in the matter of a snap. I had a long list of things I needed to complete over the five days, but now I am playing catch up with all my school work this Monday and Tuesday. It’s fine with me though because I spent a lot of my time at Memorial Medical Center, in Springfield, Illinois. I worked there over the summer and became part of the kitchen staff, delivering trays and snacks to all patients and doctors and staff at the hospital. Our first day of break, I spent ten hours working, making money for Christmas. It was a drag in the morning because working was the last thing I wanted to do, but I had to. When I finished eating lunch, I had to sit there and couldn’t help but to count my blessings. A lot of patients were without family during Thanksgiving, really sick and depressed. Over the course of the next four hours when I delivered the trays, I made sure I spent time listening to what they had to say and if they wanted a conversation, I would stay and talk longer then I should. It was really humbling over the break knowing I made some sort of difference in some patients’ lives. When life is stressful and tiring, I think of all those people who don’t have loving families or a warm roof over their heads. It always puts me back in a positive mood. I hope you all have good breaks, welcome back to the work load of school and final exams.