Marielle

Back to the Future

by Marielle on November 28, 2011

in Academics,Career Paths

It’s hard to believe that the semester is almost over. When I think about where I was last year, about through with my first ever semester in college, it seems like time went by much slower. And now I’m facing down second semester, after which I will be halfway through college!

In case you can’t tell, I’ve been thinking about the future lately – which often happens when I’m planning classes for next semester! Two good friends of mine are graduating this December, too, and it will be strange to not see them anymore, although I am excited for what they will accomplish in the future. Also, on Sunday I went to the Fall 2011 Senior Synthesis presentations of the Human Environmental Sciences department, which is essentially what I have to look forward to as the last assignment of my college career. Senior Synthesis is a class that all HES majors (which include dietetics, fashion merchandising, early childhood, and family & consumer sciences) have to take before graduation. Other departments have a Senior Synthesis as well, and its purpose is basically to sum up what you’ve learned about your major and how it pertains to your department.

The presentations, which were about sustainable/ethical manufacturing, human trafficking, and families with low socioeconomic status, were all very good. I am very glad that I took the time to go see them, because now I have a better idea about what to expect. I like to prepare for the future, and I always feel better with a solid plan. I can’t get too far ahead of myself, though – gotta enjoy this semester first! :)