Courtney

An Enlightening Week

by Courtney on November 22, 2011

in Academics,After College,Career Paths

Don’t get me wrong – I’m overly excited about the upcoming American tradition of stuffing our faces with turkey, pie, and everything else we can get our grubby hands on.  However, this past week has been enlightening for me, so I’d really like to talk about that before you as my readers return to my fellow bloggers’ more-normal Thanksgiving blogs.

As most of you probably know by now, I’m a biology major.  I’m actually doing both the biotechnology concentration and the physiology concentration offered at Fontbonne.  What I knew before is that I wanted to do biomedical research; what I didn’t know, however, is what specifically I wanted to do in the field of biomedical research.

Before coming to Fontbonne, I had really been intent on going into neurological studies in order to study diseases such as muscular dystrophy.  However, I took microbiology with Dr. Thomasson last semester and absolutely loved it.  I still talk about my micro classes on (almost!) a daily basis.  This put me at a crossroads: should I do neuro or micro?

Last week, I was on Barnes Jewish’s website, and I found this really cool webpage entitled “AIDS Neurology/Infectious Diseases.”  I almost screamed in delight.  After months of confusion, I finally figured out what I want to do with my life – I want to study the neurology of infectious diseases!  How cool is that?!  I later spoke with Dr. Paine-Saunders (my advisor) and Dr. Rayhel (the chairperson of the bio department), and both agreed that this would be an excellent field for me based on my interests.  Dr. Rayhel said that I could earn my doctorate in immunology in order to be prepared for this field.

I was so excited to have finally figured out what I want to do with my life.  And, on top of that, the BSO (Biological Sciences Organization) took a field trip to the Genome Institute at Wash. U. on Friday, and after seeing real, “official” labs, I could totally see myself working in that setting.

Now that I’ve figured out my life path,  I can get back to studying for my organic chemistry test, cleaning out some beakers which are currently holding some old solutions that I made in the lab, and taking a taste of everything on my family’s Thanksgiving table.  Have a great break, everyone!