Elizabeth P.

Choosing Fontbonne

by Elizabeth P. on November 7, 2011

The college picking process was quite bizarre for me. I had it in my mind that I could know what college I wanted to go to by the time I was a freshman in high school. I was the kind of the person that liked to have everything planned out. That is not how it worked out. I probably picked 10 different careers and ten different colleges that i just HAD to go to. Every college we went to I thought was the right college for me until we moved onto the next one. None of these colleges were right for me. They were all big and scary public universities. At least for me they were big and scary. Coming from small Catholic schools I knew deep down those colleges we’re not right for me. I was looking at them for all the wrong reasons. They were cheap and they were far away from my house. At the time, I thought that was what I wanted in a college.

I didn’t decide what college I was going to until December of my senior year, and that was Fontbonne. I hadn’t found out about Fontbonne until the week before that. We had gone to visit the college that was my first choice, UCM (before Fontbonne), for the third time. We had made an appointment to talk to the heads of the Special Education Department and Speech-Language Pathology Department because those were the two majors that interested me the most. I went to go talk to the Special Ed. Department and we got to talking about how I also wanted to do Speech Pathology, and he said “What are you doing here? You are from St. Louis you should check out Fontbonne University they are known for that major.” My parents and I just sat their baffled. Why would someone that works for a university send me to another? They must be good.

That next week I had made an appointment to go visit Fontbonne. As soon as we pulled onto the campus, I wasn’t even out of the car, I had fell in love. Now, I know that was a little quick since I hadn’t even heard about the campus yet, but people talk about as soon as you walk onto a campus you just know? Yeah, that happened to me. The buildings were beautiful, the campus was tiny, and there were pretty trees everywhere. At UCM the campus was endless and there were people smoking by all the trees. We walked into Ryan Hall where I am supposed to check in for my tour and see this beautiful chapel right ahead of me. I would have to say that this is best thing about Fontbonne, but enough about the buildings and more about the tour.

We checked in and I was heading off on my tour. At that time I had narrowed my decision down to Speech Pathology,  so knowing that Fontbonne had set me up on a tour with a Speech Path student. No one had ever done that for me at any other college. Walking around campus everyone talked to me like I was a familiar face. Saying hi, welcoming me to Fontbonne, and asked me what I was interested in studying. I felt like I belonged there and I hadn’t even applied yet! I went home and applied to Fontbonne and they had my vote ever since then. Now I’m here and I wouldn’t take any of it back! Choose Fontbonne, and you won’t regret it!