That Senior Paper

in Academics,Career Paths,New & Future Students

86 pages.

25,615 words.

53 citations.

This is my senior paper in applied sociology: “Applied Sociology and Adcult: Reflecting on an Applied Sociology Internship.” And it’s finally done.

I started this paper at the beginning of the school year, back in August. In a little over a month and a half, I churned this thing out. Excuse me while I regale you (or really just myself) with a blog about how thrilled I am at my own accomplishment here. I’ve never written this much in my life!

Before I scare away any potential applied sociology students who are terrified at the notion of writing this much, let me point out that I was never actually supposed to write this much. This was originally supposed to be 18 to 20 pages long, the capstone paper of SOC491: Internship in Sociology II. (Part I is actually getting the internship). I just… I don’t know what happened. I started writing, and there was just so much to write about for the sociology of advertising that words kept pouring out. Really, writing so much isn’t that difficult when you actually have things to write about and when you’re deeply interested in your topic. There’s a life lesson, there: do something you like. As the idiom goes, “Find a job you love and you’ll never work a day in your life.”

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go and take a very long nap.

(Two months and one week until I graduate! … But who’s counting?)