Sherry

Making It Work

by Sherry on October 10, 2011

I was watching Project Runway last night and Tim Gunn told a contestant to “Stop thinking and start feeling.” Wow, that statement hit me like a ton of bricks. What would I do if I spent my days feeling more than I had to think? Would I be a better Christian, spouse, mom, friend or student?

I know that if I would “stop thinking and start feeling” when it came to my personal relationships it would probably be true as much as it would as it came to my role of being a student.

I recently took a midterm in a class that I have this semester. Before hand I took and re-wrote my notes, wrote out how to mathematically find out different assessments. On top of that I re-read the powerpoints the professor had given and then read through any papers I had submitted. All this took more time than was allotted for the online test but I wanted to make sure that I was properly prepared. When it came to taking the test all that mattered were the things that I already knew and could answer (thankfully a good portion of the test). But there were two questions that I held back on and kept thinking about because what I initially thought or felt just couldn’t be right. So, by the end of the test I had second guessed those initial feelings about what answer was correct and selected a different one. Well, one of the neat things about online quizzes and tests is that you can click OK and see what you scored with most of the test. By now you probably have guessed that if I had just went with my feeling about the questions, I would have answered correctly, but because I thought about them they were incorrect.

I think so many times we overthink and analyze things in school or our lives and become stressed. I know that I always seem to “make it work,” another Tim Gunn saying. I need to learn to “feel” the gratitude for the gift that God gave me for my continued education in the Pathways program, the brain that I have that retains knowledge from the classes, and the ability to organize my notes and thoughts .

Blessings on Your Week- Sherry