Library Story

My first year at college, I attended a massive state university (I’ll bet you can guess the one). In the first semester, I had to learn a valuable lesson in focusing on studying that involves the library. Seeing as how I’m taking an online course right now about information systems at Fontbonne, I started thinking about my experience. I figured you’d like to hear a story, so here we go.

I’ve always been a fairly competent test-taker. All throughout high school, I’d put in a minuscule amount of effort into studying the night before a big test. The next day I’d walk in, wing it, and do fine. Not so in college. The first battery of tests hit me like a ton of bricks because I hadn’t studied nearly enough. I failed almost every one of them. Now, I’d always been an ‘A’ and ‘B’ student, so this reality was quite jarring. I knew that if I was to survive the next wave, I’d really have to buckle down and get serious about studying. So when it came time for round two, I packed up all my books and notebooks (and trusty music player), found a cozy spot at my school’s massive library, and spent an entire weekend studying. Consequently, I knew the material for the tests and didn’t have a problem.

See, the problem I’d discovered was that even if I was in my dorm and my roommate wasn’t doing anything overtly interesting, I’d still find a way to distract myself. So I had to adapt. I had to remove myself from the outside world for as long as was necessary (whole days, in some cases) and concentrate solely on the work in front of me. This has been my go-to “let’s get serious” method of studying ever since.

If you need to just get away from things for a while and focus on studying, I can recommend no better place than the library.