Courtney

Giving Back

by Courtney on October 23, 2011

in Campus Community,Organizations, Activities & Events

It’s easy to get caught up in yourself when you’re in college.  I need to study for my test.  I need to meet up with my friends to work on some homework.  I need to grab some lunch before my class.  I, I, I.

With all of the stresses of everyday life, it’s sometimes hard to remember to help out others and give back to the community.  This past Saturday, I was honored to be among the Biological Sciences Organization’s members who played a game of soccer with a group of people from the ARC organization in Tilles Park.  (For those of you who are unfamiliar, ARC is an organization that provides sports and other activities for people with physical and mental disabilities.)

For those of you who’ve read my past blogs, you’ll know that I’m probably one of the least athletic people out there.  I’ve never before played an actual game of soccer.  So when the opportunity to play soccer arose, I signed up cautiously and with a bit of intimidation.  However, when we arrived at the park, the people from ARC were so welcoming and kind that I completely forgot all of my past inhibitions.  I was truly happy to be there.

We started out with some warm ups, which included jumping jacks and running toward the big oak tree at the far end of the field.  Then, we separated in to two teams, and the game began.  My team lost, but it was still a great time. 

This experience was definitely worthwhile.  I was able to hang out with my friends, make some new friends, and give back to the great Saint Louis community.  I strongly encourage anyone and everyone to check out ARC or to get involved with whatever it is that you’re passionate about.  I can assure you that it will be totally worth your time and energy.